Oral and maxillofacial surgery
Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery is a surgical specialty which involves the diagnosis, surgery and adjunctive treatment of diseases, injuries and defects involving both the functional and aesthetic aspects of the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial region.
More simply put, the oral and maxillofacial surgeon is the orthopedic surgeon of the facial region..
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons are well known throughout the Mid-Atlantic region for specialization in various surgical areas, including:
- Management of complex maxillofacial bone fractures (Mandibula, Maxilla, Zygoma, Orbita end etc.) and
- Management of facial injuries including: facial lacerations, lip lacerations, intra-oral lacerations, fractured teeth, avulsed (knocked out) teeth, fractured facial bones (cheek or nose) and fractured jaws (upper and lower jaw).
- Comprehensive management of oral and head and neck pathology, including tumors and malignancies
- Reconstructive Maxillofacial procedures following tumor treatment
- Management of head and neck traumatic injuries
- Surgical management of head and neck nerve injuries
- Temporomandibular joint evaluation, diagnosis, and management
- Routine and advanced dentoalveolar surgery
- Benign and malignant cysts and tumors of the oral and facial regions. Severe infections of the oral cavity, salivary glands, jaws, and neck are also treated.
- Surgical management of Obsctructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome.